In pursuance of the decision taken by the Governing Body at its meeting held on 21.10.82, the guidelines for the operation of the Scheme have been formulated, a copy of which is enclosed as Annexure 'A'.
The details of the subscription, amount of premium payable to LIC and amount for depositing in the Savings Account has been fixed as under:-
Total Premium payable to LIC
Premium payable to the employees
Premium to be shared by CSIR
Amount for Depositing in the Saving Account as per revised rate
Amount for depositing in the Savings Account as per old rate
Rs. 1 0.00
Rs.700-300 and above
2. The above terms of the Scheme have been decided to make the scheme more attractive and to bring the CSIR employees almost at par with the Central Government employees by sharing the payment of premium payable to LIC by way of a subsidy, so that the amount being deposited in the Savings Account should increase and almost become proportionately equal to that provided in the Central Government Employees Insurance Scheme. Thus, out of the subscription recovered from the employees, the rate of premium payable to LIC has been reduced and, on the other hand, the amount being deposited/to be deposited in the Savings Account of the Individuals has been increased.
You are therefore, requested kindly to give wide publicity amongst the staff. The existing employees (i.e. who were in service as on 1.7.82) who had not earlier opted in favour of this scheme may now be given an opportunity to opt for this Scheme by giving a written application in Form No. 10 by 30.4.83 so that they could avail of this welfare scheme. As already indicated, option once exercised shall be final and irrevocable.
3. It is also clarified that the "New Group Insurance Scheme" is compulsory for all employees who had entered into CSIR Service on or after 1.7.82. The second opportunity for opting this Scheme is being provided only to those who were in service as on 1.7.82 but did not opt for it on the earlier occasion. The employees who joined CSIR Service on 2.7.82 or afterwards upto 30.6.83 and/or who opt for this scheme now, will be governed in accordance with para 6 of the guidelines and would be entitled for full membership i.e. benefit under Savings Account also from 1.7.83 and full subscription of Rs. 10/-/Rs. 15/-/Rs.201-/Rs.25/-, as the case may be, will be recovered from such persons w.e.f. 1.7.83 only.
4. Instructions with regard to crediting the discounted value of the amount accumulated in the previous Insurance Scheme have already been issued under our letters No.3/17/6/78-E.II dated 19th Feb., and 14th March, 1983 respectively and may please be adhered to.
5. It is requested that the category wise details in respect of the employees may be prepared and sent to Sr./Finance & Accounts Officer of your Laboratory/Institute for countersignatures and records; as under:
a) Those who were enrolled as members of the New Group Insurance Scheme as on 1.7.82,
b) Those who were in service as onl.7.82 and will opt for New Group Insurance Scheme upto 30.4.83 against the opportunity now being offered,
c) Those who joined CSIR service between 2.7.82 to 30.6.83.
d) Those who did not opt for New Group Insurance Scheme as on 1.7.82 and 30.4.83 respectively. Addition of new entrants in, service, retirement etc. in future may continue to be intimated to the Sr./Finance & Accounts- Officer by the Head of Office of each Laboratory/Institute.
6. After having prepared the Information as given in Para-5 above, an up-to-date position as on 30.4.83 with regard to the existing working staff strength under each category as well as the number of employees in each age-group under each category, who have opted in favour of New Group Insurance Scheme, may kindly be furnished to this office latest by 10.5.83 in the Following format-
A. Existing Staff Strength
Category - 1 Rs. 196-232 to Rs.210-290
Category - II Rs. 225-308 to Rs.425-700
Category - III Rs. 425-800 to Rs.650-1200
Category - IV Rs. 700-1300 and above Grand Total
B. Age-wise details of number of employees enrolled as members of NGIS under each category as on 30.4.1983.
Age Group I II III IV V
Rs. 196- 232 to Rs.225-308 to Rs.425-800 to Rs.700-1300
18-22 Yrs. Rs. 210-290 Rs. 425-700 Rs. 650-1200 and above
7. The Group Insurance Scheme applicable to CSIR employees is now almost at par with the New Insurance Scheme introduced by the Government of India for its Central Government Employees excepting that the scheme was introduced by Government of India w.e.f. 1. 1.82 but in CSIR w.e.f. 1.7.82 and that our rates of subscription/Insurance cover are different from the Government of India Scheme.
The relevant circulars as and when received from Government of India on this Scheme will be sent to you for information and guidance with a clear understanding that the date of introduction of this scheme in CSIR is 1.7.82 instead of 1. 1.82. However, the rates of subscription and Insurance cover etc. are required to be read according to CSIR Scheme.
Besides, the former Insurance Scheme of Rs.5,000/- stood discontinued w.e.f. 1.7.82 in CSIR whereas it is still operative in the Government of India for those Central Government employees who have opted to retain this scheme.
In case of any doubt a reference may be made to CSIR and we shall be happy to clarify the same.
(CSIR Letter No:3(17/9)/82-E.II, dated: 14th April, 1983.)
C.S.I.R. Group Insurance Scheme (Rules), 1982.
1. Short title and commencement:- (1) These rules may be called the CSIR Employees Group Insurance Scheme (Rules), 1982 and shall come into force w.e.f. 1st July, 1982.
2. In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires: -
(a) CSIR Employees Group Insurance Scheme means CSIR Employees Group Insurance Scheme, 1982.
(b) "Family" shall have the meaning assigned to it in the Contributory/General Provident Fund Rules;
(c) "Member of the Scheme" means as employee of CSIR enrolled as a member of the CSIR Employees Group Insurance Scheme, 1982.
(d) "Schedule' means the schedule appended to these rules;
(e) "Head of Office" means the officer declared as such under Rule. 14 of DFP Rules 1978, in the Labs./Instts./Centres and at CSIR Headquarters.
(f) "Audit Officer" means the Sr. Finance & Accounts Officer/Finance & Accounts Officer attached to the Labs./lnstts/Centres and F&AO(Audit)/Sr. F&AO at CSIR Headquarters.
(g) "Contract employee" means a person appointed as a Consultant or on contract basis for a short period on adhoc basis other than contract officers holding regular appointment under CSIR.
(h) Anniversary date means, 1st July of the Year.
3. The collection of the subscriptions and payment of dues under the 'Scheme' shall be regulated by such instructions as may be issued by CSIR in this behalf; (see schedule).
4. Amendment of Schedule:- CSIR, after consultation with its IFA, may amend the schedule as and when considered necessary.
5. Interpretation:- If any question arises as to the interpretation of these rules, Director-General, CSIR shall decide the same and his decision shall be final and binding.
The Schedule (See Rule 3)
CSIR Employees Group Insurance Scheme, 1982.
1 Date of Effect: - The CSIR Employees Group Insurance Scheme, 1982 hereinafter referred to as the 'Scheme', shall come into force w.e.f. 1st July 1982 (F.N.).
2. Objective: - The 'Scheme' is intended to provide for CSIR employees, at a low cost, the twin benefits of (i) Group Insurance cover through LIC of India (in accordance with the LIC Scheme/Rules on the subject), to help their families in the event of death in service and (ii) a lump-sum payment to augment their resources on retirement.
3. Application: - The 'Scheme' shall apply to all regular CSIR employees. Contract Employees, Persons on deputation from Central or State Governments, Public Sector Undertakings or other autonomous organisations, casual labourers/work charged staff, part-time and adhoc employees, Pool Officers and Persons working in sponsored projects financed by outside agencies but not holding lien on any regular post under CSIR, will not be governed by the Scheme. The scheme will also not apply to persons recruited under the CSIR after attaining the age of 50 years. Such CSIR servants to whom the scheme applies will hereafter be referred to as 'employees'.
(i) The Scheme will be compulsory for all the employees as covered in para 3 above who have not specifically opted out of the Scheme on the basis of option extended by CSIR before the commencement of the scheme and those recruited on or after Ist July, 1982.
(ii) Those having specifically opted out of the scheme will have a second option to join the scheme by 30.4.83. Recovery of Premium in such case will commence w.e.f. 1.5.83 and shall be regulated in accordance with para 6 of the 'Scheme'. No further option on any grounds will be made available after this date. Option once exercised (or not exercised) will be final and irrevocable.
4.2 After the 'Scheme' has come into force, all employees who enter service other than in the Month of July shall be enrolled as members of the 'Scheme' on the next anniversary of the 'Scheme'.
5.1 The rates of subscription for the 'Scheme' for various categories/groups of employees and the premium amount per month which will be remitted to the LIC and the amount which will be credited to the Savings Account of the employees are given hereunder. The premium amount will be credited to an Insurance Account and payments will be made to the LIC periodically as agreed upon.
Category/ Sum Insured Contribution Amount Amount Amount
Group per month Payable to payable to be
LIC as by the credited in
premium for employee Savings A/c
sum insured towards per Month @
by CSIR@ Premium
per Month @
1 2 3 4 5 6
Rs. 196-232 Rs. 1 0,000 Rs. 1 0/- Rs.4.50 Rs.3.15 Rs.6.85
Rs.330-560 Rs. 15,000 Rs. 1 51- Rs.7.50 Rs.4.70 Rs. 10.30
Rs.650-960 Rs.20,000 Rs.20/- Rs.10.00 Rs.6,25 Rs. 13.75
Rs.700-1300 Rs.25,000 Rs.25/- Rs. 1 2.50 Rs.7.80 Rs. 17.20
@ Rates indicated in column 4 above are provisional for the 1st year of operation of Scheme subject to finalisation after necessary details are received from Labs./Instts. and determined by L.I.C. Difference between the rates as shown in column 4 & 5 will be debited to the CSIR Account.
5.2 In the event of regular promotion of an employee from one category/Group to another, subscription shall be raised, from the next anniversary of the 'Scheme' to the level appropriate to the Category/Group to which he/she is promoted. Until the date of the next anniversary of the 'Scheme', he/she will continue to be covered for insurance for the same amount for which he/she was eligible before such promotion.
For example, as the 'Scheme' has come into force w.e.f. 1.7.82, a Group 'D' employee promoted on regular basis to Group C in August, 1982 shall continue to subscribe at the rate of Rs. 10/- per month upto June, 1983 and be eligible for the Insurance cover of Rs. 1 0,000/- only in addition to the benefits from the Savings Account appropriate to his subscription. From July, 1983 his subscription will be raised to Rs. 15/- per month and he will become eligible for an insurance cover of Rs. 15,000/- in addition to appropriate benefits from the Savings Account.
6 Premium and Insurance cover for 'employees' other than members:
The 'employees' entering service in a month other than July will be given benefit of appropriate insurance cover from the date of joining the service of the Council to the date of their becoming members of the 'Scheme' on payment of amount payable by such employees towards appropriate value of Insurance Cover as applicable in his case.
Insurance Premium shall become due from the date of joining and shall be charged at full monthly rate irrespective of the date of joining failing on any date during the currency of the month in which new members join CSIR service. From the date of anniversary of the 'Scheme' they will pay subscription inclusive of the amount for savings account at the rate indicated in para 5.1 above.
For example, as the 'Scheme' has come into force w.e.f. 1.7.82, a Group 'D' employee entering service in August 82 shall pay a subscription of Rs.3.15 per month as premium for an insurance cover of Rs. 10,000/- for a period of 11 months until June, 1983 and from July, 1983 his subscription will be raised to Rs.10/- per month and he shall become eligible for the benefits from Savings A/c in addition to the insurance cover of Rs. 10,000/-. Similarly, a Group 'C' employee entering service in August, 1982 will pay a subscription of Rs.4.70 per month as the Premium for an insurance cover of Rs. 15,000/- for a period of 11 months upto June, 1983 and from July 1983 his subscription will be raised to Rs. 15/- per month and he shall become eligible for the benefits from the Savings Account in addition to insurance cover of Rs. 15,000/-.
7. Insurance Account and Insurance Caver for members
In Order to provide an insurance cover to each member of the 'Scheme', a portion of the subscription will be paid to Life Insurance Corporation as premium for insurance cover as determined by LIC every year, in consultation with CSIR. The present, rates (Provisional) are as indicated in para 5. 1. This Insurance cover will be paid to the family of those employees who unfortunately, die due to any cause, while in CSIR service.
8.1 Savings Account
The saving part of the subscription, for the respective categories, shall be credited to a savings account. The amount in the savings account will be held by CSIR headquarters for investment. The total accumulation of savings together with interest thereon will be payable to the member of the 'Scheme' on his/her retirement after attaining the age of superannuation or on cessation of his/her employment from CSIR or to his/her family on death while in service.
8.2 In the case of death of a member, the payment of the amount of insurance will be in addition to the payment from the savings account.
8.3 The positive balance under the Savings Account shall be credited with the amount of interest calculated at the rate of interest notified by Govt. of India in relation to the employees covered under the Central Govt. Group Insurance Scheme, 1980 for the purpose.
8.4 The interest will be allowed at the rate of 10% p.a. (compounded quarterly) on the balances in the savings A/c for a block of 5 years commencing from the date the 'Scheme' Comes into force.
9.1 Recovery of Subscription
The subscription of a member for a month shall fall due at the commencement of the normal working hours on the first of that month.
9.2 The subscription for a month shall be recovered by deduction from the salary/wage of the 'employee' for that month irrespective of the date of actual payment of salary/wage for that month.
9.3 The subscriptions shall be recovered every month including the month in which the 'Employee' ceases to be in employment on account of retirement, death, resignation, removal from service etc.
9.4 The Drawing and Disbursing Officer shall recover the subscription from the 'employees' irrespective of their being on duty, leave or suspension.
9.5 No interest shall be levied on arrears of subscriptions, if the non- recovery is due to delayed payments of salary/wage.
9.6 If an 'Employee' is on extraordinary leave and there is no payment of salary/wage for any period, his/her subscription for the months for which no payments of salary/wage are made, shall be recovered with interest admissible under the 'Scheme' on the accretions to the Savings A/c in not more than three instalments commencing from his/her salary/wage for the months in which he/she resumes duties after leave. If an 'employee' dies while on extraordinary leave, the subscriptions due from him/her shall be recovered with interest admissible under the 'Scheme' on the accretions to the Savings A/c from the payments admissible to his/her family under the 'Scheme', For example, if a Group 'D' employee proceeds on ten months extraordinary leave from 5.8.82 to 4.6.83 and no salary wage is paid to him for any day for Sept.82 to May, 1983 his subscriptions totaling Rs.90/- will be recovered together with the interest calculated at the compound rate of interest of 10% per annum in not more than three instalments commencing from July, 1983.
9.7 If an 'employee' proceeds on deputation or on foreign service, the borrowing authority/foreign employer shall be requested to effect the recovery of the subscription and credit the same to the relevant head of account. It shall be ensured that necessary clause to this effect is included in the terms of deputation/foreign service in future. The recovery of this amount will be watched in the same manner as leave salary and pension contributions. If at any time the recovery of subscription falls in arrears, the same shall be recovered with interest admissible under the 'Scheme' on the accretions to the Savings A/c in not more than three instalments.
10.1 Financing of Subscription from General Contributory Provident Fund.
It will not ordinarily be permissible to finance the 'Scheme' from the General/Contributory Provident Fund. However, if at any stage the position of an individual member does not permit him/her to subscribe to the 'Scheme' and to the General/Contributory Provident Fund at the same time, he/she may be permitted to make, as a separate transaction a non-refundable withdrawal from the General/Contributory provident fund of an amount equivalent to a year's subscription paid for the 'Scheme'.
10.2 The subscription to the 'Scheme' will form part of deductions allowable in respect of life insurance premia, contributions to provident fund etc., in computing the total income of the subscriber for the purposes of income tax, except to the extent of the amount finally withdrawn from the General/Contributory Provident Fund on account of such subscription.
11.1 Payment from Savings Account
If an 'employee' retires on attaining the age of superannuation or otherwise ceases to be in Council service and his/her service book/history sheet discloses that he/she has been a member of the 'Scheme', the Head of Office shall issue a sanction for the payment of the Member's accumulation in his savings A/c after obtaining a simple application in the prescribed Form No.4.
11.2 If an 'employee' dies while in service and his/her service book/history sheet discloses that he/she was a member of the 'Scheme', the Head of Office shall address the Nominee (s)/heir(s) of Council servant concerned in the prescribed Form No.5 to submit an application in Form No.6 and, on receipt thereof, shall issue a sanction for the payment of the accumulation in the Savings A/c to him/her (them).
11.3 The amount payable to the nominees(s)/heir(s) of an 'employee' who has the benefit of an insurance cover will be the amount of insurance appropriate to his/her Category/Group and the claim for insurance will be paid by LIC to the Laboratory/Institute/Central Office through CSIR.
11.4 The amount payable to the nominee(s)/heir(s) of a member of the 'Scheme' who dies while in service, shall be:-
(a) the amount of appropriate insurance to which the deceased was entitled at the time of his/her death: plus
(b) the amount due to him/her out of the Savings A/c for the entire period of his/her membership in the lowest category/group which he/she joined first; and
(c) the amount or amounts due to him/her for the additional units by which his/her subscription was raised on each occasion due to appointment/promotion to higher Category/Group for the period from which the rate of subscription was raised upto the date of his/her death.
For example, if a Group D employee, who is a member of the 'Scheme' acquires a membership in Group C and Group B after 5 years and 15 years of service respectively and dies while in service after 30 years of total membership in all these Groups, his nominee or nominees shall be paid the sum of the following amounts:
(1) the amount of insurance, of Rs.20,000 due on a monthly subscription of Rs.20 being a Group B employee on the date of his death.,
(ii) the amount due from Savings A/c on a monthly subscription of Rs.30/- for 30 years;
(iii) the amount due from Savings A/c on a. nonthly subscription of Rs.5/-(Rs. 15 - n Rs. 10/-) for 25 years; and
(iv) the amount due from Savings A/c on a monthly subscription of Rs.5/- (20/- Rs. 15/-) for 15 years.
11.5 The amount payable to the 'employee' who ceases to be in employment with the Council service on account of resignation, retirement etc., shall be
(a) the amount due to him/her out of the Savings A/c for the entire period of his/her membership in the lowest category/group which he joined first; and
(b) the amount or amounts to him/her for the additional units by which his/her subscription was raised on each occasion due to appointment/promotion to higher category/Group for the period from which the rate of subscription was so raised to the date of cessation of his/her membership. For example if a Group 'D' employee who is a member of the 'Scheme' acquires a membership in Group C and Group B after 10 and 20 years of service respectively and retires on superannuation after 30 years of total membership in all these Groups, he shall be paid the sum of the following amounts:-
(i) the amount due to him from Savings A/c on a monthly subscription of Rs.10/- for 30 years.
(ii) the amount due to him from Savings A/c on a monthly subscription of Rs.5/- (Rs. 15/- Rs. 1 0/-) for 20 years; and
(Iii) the amount due to him from Savings A/c on a monthly subscription of Rs.5/- (Rs.20/Rs. 15/-) for 10 years.
11.6 If any 'employee' dies during a month before the recovery of subscription for, that month from him/her, his/her dues shall be paid after deduction the subscription.
12. Withdrawals from Savings Account
It will not be permissible for any member of the 'Scheme' to withdraw any amount of the Savings A/c to which he/she has been subscribing. The amount due to him/her from the fund on his/her cessation of employment on account of resignation, retirement etc. shall be worked out in accordance with para - 11 and paid to him/her on his/her nominee(s) in accordance with the accounting procedure prescribed separately.
13. Loans/advances from or against accumulations in Savings Account
No loans or advances shall be paid to any member or other beneficiary of the 'Scheme' from or against his/her accumulations in the Savings Fund to which he/she has been subscribing.
14. Utilisation of accumulations in Insurance A/c/savings Account
The accumulations in the Savings A/c shall be at the disposal of the CSIR for suitable investment in interest-bearing Schemes of Govt./Bank & other Financial Institutions.
15. Mode of notification of the 'Scheme'
The 'Scheme' shall be notified to the 'employees' by displaying a copy thereof on the notice Board, or where no such notice board is provided, at a prominent place in the premises where the employees are working. A few copies of the 'Scheme' may also be kept in library and also be supplied to the recognised unions associations of the employees.
16. Action after the 'Scheme' coming into force.
By the 10th of every month following the month in which the 'Scheme' is notified, the Head of Office shall supply to the FAO/Audit Officer, names, categories/Groups, dates of birth and dates of appointment of persons who are appointed to any service or post under the CSIR during the preceding month and who would be eligible to be the members of the 'Scheme' in terms of para 3 of the 'Scheme'. A copy of this statement (in triplicate) will be endorsed by the Head of Office to CSIR Headquarters.
17.1 Action on the 'Scheme' coming to force
By the 10th of the Month in which the 'Scheme' comes into force, the Head of Office shall supply to the Audit Officer a statement indicating name, category/group and date of birth of every 'employee' who has been in the Council service on the date the 'Scheme' is notified, but has not opted out of the 'Scheme'. A copy of this statement (in triplicate) will simultaneously be endorsed by the Head of Office to CSIR Headquarters also.
17.2 Every member of the 'Scheme' shall be informed on the prescribed form No.1 the date of his/her enrolment, the subscription to be deducted and the benefits to which he/she would be eligible. On his/her regular promotion from one Category/Group to another, he/she will be similarly informed in Form No. 2.
17.3 The options from the employees who specifically opted out of the 'Scheme' should be pasted in the Service Book of the Individual/history sheet. In the case of all other persons who either opted for the same specifically or are deemed to have come to the 'Scheme', the fact should be recorded in the Service Book/History sheet under the signature of Head of Office for necessary action.
18. Register of Members
The Head of Office of the Laboratory/Institute/Centre and CSIR Headquarters shall maintain category wise/group wise registers of members in Form No.9 and keep them upto date. These registers shall be sent to the Audit Officer concerned once a year to verify whether appropriate subscriptions are being recovered from all employees who have joined the 'Scheme' and to record a certificate to this effect.
The Head of Office shall obtain from every Council Servant who is a member of the 'Scheme', a nomination conferring on one or more persons, the right to receive the amount that may become payable under this 'Scheme' in the event of his/her death before attaining the age of superannuation. In the case of 'employees' who are already in Council service on the date the 'Scheme' is notified and who do not opt out of the 'Scheme', such nomination shall be obtained by 30.4.83 and in case of employees who join CSIR service after the date of issue of these guidelines, such nomination shall be obtained along with the Joining Report.
19.2 If a member of the 'Scheme' happens to be a minor, he/she will be required to make nomination on his/her attaining the age of majority.
19.3 If a member of the 'Scheme' has a family at the time of his/her making the nomination, he/she shall make such nomination only in favour of a member or members of his/her family.
For this purpose, the family will have the same meaning as assigned to it in the General Provident Fund (Central Services) Rules, 1960.
19.4. If a member nominates more than one person under Para 19.1, he/she should specify in the nomination the amount of share payable to each of the nominees in such a manner as to cover the whole of the amount payable under 'Scheme' failing which the amount payable, under the 'Scheme' shall be equally distributed among the nominees.
19.5 The nomination shall be made in Form No.7 or Form No.8 as is appropriate in the circumstances.
19.6 A member of the 'Scheme' may at any time cancel a nomination by sending a notice to the Head of Office along with a fresh nomination made in accordance with the above provision.
19.7 The nomination received from the members shall be counter-signed by the Head of Office and pasted on their service books/History Sheets. The Head of Office shall also make an entry in the Service Book/History Sheet that the nomination has been duly received.
20. The Existing Insurance Scheme
The existing Insurance Scheme introduced vide CSIR O.M. No. 16(220)77-E.II dated 3.7.77, will cease to be in force from the forenoon of 1st July, 1982 and the amount which would have been due to them under the provision of Scheme on this date will be credited to their respective General/Contributory Provident Fund accounts, in accordance with the instructions issued/to be issued in this regard separately.
The transactions relating to the 'Scheme' shall be accounted for in accordance with the procedure laid down/to be laid down separately.
22.1 Interpretation and clarification:-
If any categories of 'employees' are not specifically classified into Group-A, Group-B, Group-C or Group-D, their classification shall be assumed in accordance with the principles laid down in this regard under the Central Civil service (Classification, Control and Appeal) Rules, 1965.
22.2 In the actual implementation of the 'Scheme', if any doubt arises in regard to the interpretation of any of the provisions of this 'Scheme' or if any point requires clarification, the matter may be referred to the Director-General, CSIR, whose decision shall be final
23. Review of the 'Scheme':
The working of the 'Scheme' will be reviewed every three years by CSIR.
Group Insurance Scheme for the employees of CSIR and its National Laboratories/ Institutes - Adoption thereof.
(30.7.2) Sub: Introduction of revised
The DGSIR has been pleased to approve the introduction of the following revised Group Insurance Scheme for the benefit and welfare of employees of CSIR and its National Laboratories/Institutes in lieu of the existing Group Insurances Scheme through Life Insurance Corporation of India:
Category Insurance cover to be Total Mly. Mly. Premium to be Balance amt. to be Total
provided Contributions payable appropriated for risk credited to savings
to LTC coverage Account
A Rs.80,0001- Rs.80/- Rs.28/- Rs.52/- Rs.80/-
B Rs.40,000/- Rs.40/- Rs. 14/- Rs.26/- Rs.40/-
C Rs.20,0001- Rs.20/- Rs.7/- Rs. 13/- Rs.20/-
D Rs. 1 0,000/- Rs. 10/- Rs.3.50/- Rs.6.50/- Rs. 1 0/-
NOTE(I) Category-A Pre-revised Scales Rs.700-1300 and above
Category-B -DO- Rs.425-800 to 650-1200
Category-C -DO- Rs.225-308 to 425-700
Category-D -DO- Rs. 196-232 to 210-290
NOTE(2) savings Fund accummulations will earn interest @ 11 % per annum(compounded annually)
The following terms and conditions will be applicable to the revised scheme:
(1) The revised scheme will be put into operation from 1/1/87. The present-scheme will cease to operate on 31112186(AN);
(2) The revised scheme will be operated in a decentralised manner, including Common Cadre Staff working in respective Laboratory/Institute. Each Laboratry/Institute including CSIR Hqrs. will be issued a separate policy by LIC and they will have direct dealing with the local Regional/Zonal/Divisional office of LIC, as shown in the Statement Appended herewith, in all matters viz. deposit of premiums/contributions, settlement of claims in the event of death of the beneficiary and also to seek refund of saving fund component from LIC. In other words, CSIR Hqrs. will no longer be in the picture in these matters in respect of the laboratories/Institutes;
(3) Members of the existing scheme will automatically switch over to the revised scheme from 1/1/87.
(a) However, each laboratory/Institute will give fresh option to those members of the staff who are not members of the present scheme to opt for the revised scheme, if they so desire. A minimum period of one month will be given to them to exercise option. Such members of the staff who opt for this revised scheme now will be extended the benefit under the revised scheme from 114/87;
(b) In the case of new entrants in the Laboratory/Institute appointed on regular basis after 1/1187, they will be eligible to join the new scheme from the first of the following month in which they joined a particular Laboratory/Institute;
(c) In the case of such members of the staff who are promoted resulting into change in their category for entitlement of benefit under the new scheme, they will switch over to the revised category from, the anniversary date of the scheme i.e. 1st January of the Following year;
(4) The payment of contributions towards savings fund and premium, as indicated above, will be made to the respective LIC office by the Laboratory/Institute/CSIR Headquarters on monthly basis in advance.
Each Laboratory/Institute/CSIR Headquarters is, therefore, required to arrange payments on this account latest by first January, 1987 positively and thereafter before 1st of every month. Along with payment of advance amount to LIC for the month of January, 1987, each Laboratory/Institute/CSIR Hqrs. will also be required to furnish to the respective LIC office a category- wise list of the members of the Scheme indicating therein their name, designation and date of birth together with a summary statement of number of staff in each category along with the first Payment. This information will be given to the LIC office in the first month of every calendar year in future also. The names of new entrants as well as deletions due to resignation/death/retirements etc. will be intimated to the LIC office while making monthly payments from February, 1987 and onward;
(5) In the case of death of a beneficiary, the claim papers on the existing format alongwith death certificate will be submitted to the respective LIC office direct. Similarly, for claiming refund of savings fund account, the claim in this respect will also be submitted to LIC office direct. The principal amount of Savings fund will be intimated by each laboratory/institute to the respective LIC office direct with reference to the length of service of the employee in each category as recorded in the service record to enable LIC to calculate interest and arrange refund of principal and interest on death/retirement/resignation etc.
(6) Each laboratory/Institute will be required to make entry towards membership of this scheme in the service record of each employee without fail. Any change in the Category due to promotion will also be suitably recorded in the service record. Similarly, it will also be ensured that the nomination form for claiming benefit under this scheme is also obtained invariably and kept with the service record of each member of the Scheme.
(7) In the case of laboratories/Institutes it will be the responsibility of the Administrative officers/Finance and Accounts Officers of the Laboratories/Institutes to ensure that there is no delay whatsoever to make monthly payments of contributions/premium to respective LIC office within the prescribed time to avoid problems for the beneficiaries of the scheme. Similarly, for the staff working in Hqrs. of CSIR, it will be the responsibility of U.S.(Co) and F&AO (Cash/Audit) to ensure monthly advance payments to LIC office as per the above deadline. The monthly payments so made will be debited to Head I- Remittance Recoupments of Expenditure Revised Group Insurance Scheme (RGIS)'. Similarly, the recoveries from the pay bills will be credited to the same head of account;
(8) The deductions toward present Group Insurance Scheme to be made from the Salary of December, 1986 from the beneficiaries by each laboratory/Institute will be remitted to CSIR Headquarters because the present scheme which is being operated centrally will cease to operate on 31st December, 1986;
(9) Contributions according to the revised scheme will be deducted from the salary commencing from the month of January, 1987;
(10) The Claims arising upto 31st December, 1986 under the present Scheme will continue to be sent to CSIR for settlement;
(11) The accummulations of Saving Fund Components under the present scheme upto 31st December, 1986, will continue to be with CSIR Headquarters and a decision about its credit to the respective GPF/CPF Accounts or otherwise of each beneficiary will be taken separately and communicated to all concerned;
In case you feel any difficulty while dealing with LIC office or require any clarification while actually implementing this scheme at laboratory level, we shall be happy to attend to the same. In any case the scheme has to be implemented from 1/1/87 and advance contributions for the month of January, 1987 has to be paid latest by 1/1/87, positively.
(CSIR Letter No: 3(17)/Misc./84-E-II, dated: 18th Dec., 86.)
Letter of Admission and Authority
Re:- Group Savings - Linked Insurance Scheme
1 wish to join the Group Savings-Linked Insurance Scheme arranged with the Life Insurance corporation of India and request you to admit me as an Insured Member of the Scheme with effect from __________________________________. I hereby authorise you to deduct a sum of Rs.__________________________ as contribution towards the scheme from my salary starting from the salary for the month of______________________________________________________.
I, further, agree that this letter of authority shall not be revoked by me so long as I am a regular employee. My date of birth, as recorded in __________________________ Certificate sent herewith is__________________.
(In Block Letters)
Badge No. or Salary Roll No. Or Membership No.
Department and Office
STATIONS OF LIC OFFICES FROM WHERE THE REVISED GROUP INSURANCE SCHEME
WOULD BE OPERATED
Sl.NO. NAME OF THE LABORATORY/INSTT. STATION
1. CGCRI, (CALCUTTA) CALCUTTA
2. IICB, CALCUTRA)
4. CIMAP, LUCKNOW LUCKNOW
6 ITRC, LUCKNOW
7. CBRI, ROORKEE
8. IIP, DEHRADUN MEERUT
9. SERC, GHAZIABAD/ROORKEE
11. CMRS, DHANBAD JAMSHEDPUR
12. NML, JAMSHEDPUR
13. CLRI, MADRAS
14. CSIR COMPLEX, MADRAS MADRAS
15. SERC, MADRAS
16. CECRI, KARAIKUDI MADURAI
17. CFTRI, MYSORE BANGALORE
18. NAL, BANGALORE
19. INSDOC, NEW DELHI
20. CRRI, NEW DELHI
21. PID, NEW DELHI NEW DELHI
22. NISTADS, NEW DELHI
23. NPL, NEW DELHI
24. CSIR HEADQUARTERS, NEW DELHI
34. CSIR CENTRE FOR BIO-CHEMICALS, NEW DELHI.
35. CEERI, PILANI JAIPUR
27. CSMCRI,BHAVNAGAR RAJKOT
28. CSIO, CHANDIGARH.
29. I MT, CHANDIGARH. CHANDIGARH
30. CSIR PALAMPUR COMPLEX PALAMPUR
31. CMERI, DURGAPUR ASANSOL
32. RRL, HYDERABAD
33. NGRI, HYDERABAD HYDERABAD
35. NCL, PUNE PUNE
36. NEERI, NAGPUR NAGPUR
37. NIO, GOA BOMBAY
38. RRL, JAMMU JALANDHAR
39. RRL, BHUBANESHWAR CUTTACK
40. RRL, JORHAT GAUHATI
41. RRL, TRIVANDRUM TRIVANDRUM
42. RRL, BHOPAL BHOPAL
(30.7.3) CSIR New Group Insurance Scheme, 1982 and revised Group Insurance Scheme, 1987.
In continuation of this Office Circular letter No. 1/4/5/INS/85-E.II dated 14th March, 1986 on the above noted subject, I am directed to forward a copy of Government of India O.M. No. 7(2)-EV/86 dated 7th October, 1987 (not printed) for your kind information, guidance and necessary action. The procedure set out in the enclosed Government of India O.M. shall be applicable both for payment of insurance cover payable under N.G.I.S., 1982 (which has ceased to operate beyond December, 1986); and R.G.I.S., 1987 (introduced w.e.f. 1.1.1987).
It is reiterated that in order to avoid the difficulty in making payment of insurance cover in the absence of nominations, you are requested kindly to recheck and obtain nominations from all the members of atleast RGIS, 1987.
(CSIR letter No.5/INS/LB/85-E.II, dated 10th November, 1987)
(30.7.4) SUB: Introduction of revised Group Insurance Scheme for the employees of CSIR and its National Labs./Instts.
Reference this Office Circular letter No.3(17)/Misc./84-E.II, dated 18.12.86. The DGSIR in consultation with LIC, New Delhi and concurrence of the Financial Adviser has been pleased to approve of the following increased rates under the Revised Group Insurance Scheme for the benefit and welfare of the employees of CSIR and its National Labs./Instts. Effective from 1. 1.90.
Category Insurance cover to be Total Monthly MIY. Premium to be Balance amt. to be Total
provided contribution Payable to appropriated for risk credited to Savings
LIC coverage Account
A 1,00,000/- 100/- 35/- 65/- 100/-
B 60,000/- 60/- 21/- 39/- 60/-
C 30,000/- 30/- 10.50 19.50 30/-
D 15,000/- 15/- 5.25 9.75 151-
As the anniversary renewal date of the existing Group Insurance Scheme is 1st January, the increased rates of subscription and insurance cover will be promulgated with effect from 1. 1.90 and as such instructions related to remittance towards monthly contributions to LIC from January 1990. onwards on monthly basis in advance may kindly be followed scrupulously.
The other operational terms and conditions of the Scheme will be the same as per existing scheme notified vide CSIR circular letter, dated 18.12.86.
As it is a scheme for welfare of CSIR employees, it is proposed that the existing employees who did not opt for the Group Insurance Scheme introduced w.e.f. 1.1.87, may also be given an opportunity to become members of this scheme now w.e.f. 1. 1.90 subject to the condition that such an employee should not be on leave on the date of introduction of the Scheme i.e. 1. 1.90 with the revised rates. This aspect has been confirmed from LIC authorities and they have no objection to it.
The contents of the above orders may be brought to the notice of staff and concerned LIC office by the respective Lab./ Instt. for their information and record.
(CSIR Letter No:3(7)/Misc./84-E.II (Vol.III), dated: 14/12/89.)
As per this office circular of even number dated 14.12.89, the insurance coverage for Category 'A' employees of CSIR was to the tune of Rs.one Lakh with Monthly Contribution Payable to LIC @Rs. 100/- p.m. with the concurrence of Life Insurance Corporation of India, DGSIR has been pleased to approve that the insurance cover in respect of Group 'A' employees of CSIR and its Labs./lnstts. wi 11 be increased from Rs. 1.00 Lakh to Rs. 1,20,000/- w.e.f. the next anniversary renewal date i.e. 1. 1.9 1. Accordingly the break-up of monthly contribution of Rs.120/-p.m. recoverable from Category 'A' employees will be as under:-
Total Monthly Monthly Premium Balance to be deposited
Contribution as risk coverage in the Savings account
Rs.120/-p.m. Rs.42/- p.m Rs.78/- p.m.
DGSIR has also been pleased to approve that since the rate of insurance cover has been revised upward, those Category 'A' employees who could not opt for revised Group Insurance Scheme introduced w.e.f. 1. 1.90 can now exercise their option immediately latest by 15th January, 1991 for joining this scheme w.e.f. 1. 1.91 as per extant instructions contained in this office circular of even number dated 14.12.89 subject to the condition that an employee should not be on leave on 1/1 /91. Other conditions for the operation of the Scheme will remain unchanged.
It is requested that recovery of monthly contribution in respect of the existing Category 'A' employees under the RGIS may kindly be made @Rs. 120/- p.m. instead of Rs. 1 00/- p.m. commencing from the month of January, 1991 and remittances made to LIC of your respective Division/Zone accordingly. Further, it is requested that necessary intimation to this effect may kindly be given to the concerned Divisional/Zonal office of LIC urgently by your Lab./lnstt.
The provision for exercising the option by those who are not members of this scheme till date may kindly be given wide circulation amongst the staff.
(CSIR Letter No:3(17)Misc/84-E.II(U-3)(Vol. III), dated 21.12.90.)