National Institute of Oceanography (NIO) has signed an agreement for collaborative research with MykoTech, Goa, on 22 June 2005. Shri A Muthukrishnan, CoA, NIO, and Dr S. Raghukumar, Managing Director, MykoTech signed the MoU.
- The principal subjects of research cooperation identified are: the isolation of marine fungi and bacteria and screening these for commercial enzymes, nutraceuticals & pharmaceuticals compounds; scaling up growth of promising fungi and bacteria, purification and extraction of useful compounds.
- The collaboration is for three years with scope for renewal.
The National Institute of Oceanography (NIO) has entered into partnership with the Birbal Sahni Institute of Palaeobotany (BSIP), Lucknow.
- Dr Satish R. Shetye, Director, NIO and Dr N. C. Mehrotra, Director, BSIP, were the signatories of the Memorandum of Understanding.
- According to the MoU the five-year accord will complement the capabilities in the areas of basic and applied research, teaching and training of both the organizations.
A Memorandum of Understanding was signed on 3 February 2005 between National Institute of Oceanography, Goa, and Oil & Natural Gas Corporation Limited, Institute of Petroleum Safety, Health And Environment Management, Goa, by Dr S R Shetye, Director, NIO, and Dr A B Chakraborty, General Manager, Head, IPSHEM, ONGC.
Under MOU, NIO would provide assistance to ONGC in the following broad areas:
- Biological monitoring including sampling of seawater columns and seabed sediment around the offshore installations for onboard and onshore analysis.
- Analysis and R&D studies of heavy metals concentration in environmental samples.
- Bioremediation studies of wastes generated during oil exploration and production activities.
- Study of sediment characteristics.
- EIA studies for offshore activities.
- Impact prediction and modelling for oil spill, air pollution and water pollution for risk assessment studies in petroleum sector.
- Human resource development for environment management in petroleum sector
NIO, signed an MoU with the Gas Authority of India Ltd. (GAIL) on 15 February 2005 to enlarge the scope of collaboration between the two organizations. The MoU was signed by Dr S.R. Shetye, Director, NIO, and Shri B.S. Negi, Director, Planning, GAIL, in the presence of Sh. Prashanto Banerjee, CMD, GAIL.
The MoU proposes setting up of a joint working group to discuss and finalize new projects. Under the projects, scientists at NIO and GAIL would work together on acquisition of data, processing and interpretation. The MoU will be initially for two years, beyond which it is extendable on mutual consent.
Dr Satish R Shetye, Director, NIO, and Prof. Ashok Misra, Director IIT-Bombay, Mumbai, signed an MoU on 18 April 2005.Its scope includes:
- Joint execution of research projects.
- Joint supervision of post-graduate theses.
- Joint organization of workshops, seminars, conferences and training programs, including those for third party organizations
- To conduct joint educational degree and diploma courses.
- Sponsorship for scientific personnel in MSc, MTech and Ph.D. programmes.
- Local hospitality for short-term visit by researchers.
NIO has signed an MoU with S.P. Chowgule College, Margao. This is NIO’s maiden attempt at formal collaboration with an affiliated non-engineering college in Goa and an endorsement of NIO’s commitment to partnering with teaching institutions, in pursuit of excellence in teaching and research. The agreement is for five years at present and covers various academic and research disciplines of particular relevance to the college and of interest to NIO.
NIO signs MoU with Pacham Aquaculture Farms Limited
The National Institute of Oceanography (NIO), Goa, has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Pacham Aquaculture Farms Limited (PANCHAM), Mumbai on 11 November 2005 for development of technologies and products for sustainable coastal aquaculture and their health management.
This MoU will enable PANCHAM to identify issues affecting sustainability in coastal aquaculture and NIO with its vast experience in aquatic resource assessment and environmental management will provide scientific, technical and aquatic health solutions to the sustainable coastal aquaculture and disease management.
The present MoU would provide an opportunity for NIO to work with stake-holders in this area.
Dr Satish R. Shetye, Director, NIO, signed the agreement on behalf of the institute and its parental body Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi. Shri Ajit Sinha Patil, Chief Technical Officer, PANCHAM, Mumbai, signed on behalf of the company. Both NIO and PANCHAM will collaborate in the areas of research programme, seminars/workshops, skill enhancement training programmes, exchange of samples, and know-how from both ends.
NIO signs MoU with St Xavier ' s College, Mapusa
THE National Institute of Oceanography (NIO), Goa, and St Xavier's College, Mapusa, Goa, have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to enter into a long-term collaboration in the areas of research, education and training. The inking was done by Dr Newman Fernandes, Principal, St Xavier's College, and Dr Satish Shetye, Director, NIO, at function organized for the occasion.
The objectives of the MoU are to work in partnership in undertaking academic project assignments in computer sciences, instrumentation, chemistry, biosciences and physics.
This has become effective immediately and will remain in force for five years initially. It has helped in opening an avenue for execution of research projects; organizing educational tours and programmes for students and staff; training opportunities in analytical instrumentation, organization of workshops, seminars, and lectures by scientists and teachers on topics of mutual interest.