Council of Scientific & Industrial Research
Anusandhan Bhawan, 2, Rafi Marg, New Delhi-110001
February 06, 2020
Sub : Guidelines relating to engagement of project staff in CSIR Projects including NMITLI projects, OLP/MLP, Contract R&D and non-CSIR funded Projects
- The guidelines relating to the hiring of Project Staff in Contract Research and Plan Projects/NMITLI Scheme under National Laboratories Scheme were issued by CSIR vide OM No. 4/CMG/2016-PPD dated July 4, 2016
- Department of Science & Technology (DST) vide its OM No. SR/S9/Z-05/2019 dated August 21, 2019 has revised the guidelines and emoluments for Scientific/Technical Manpower other than JRF/SRF/RA in R&D programmes of Central Government Departments/Agencies.
- CSIR laboratories/Institutes have expressed that with the announcement of increased fellowship paid to Junior Research Fellow (JRF), Senior Research Fellow (SRF), Research Associate, Project Scientist and other categories of staff engaged in R&D in the country they are finding it increasingly difficult to hire/retain project staff at the present remuneration. Further, many of the project staff have also approached CSIR Hqrs for enhancement in remuneration.
- CSIR had constituted a committee to revisit the emoluments being paid to project staff engaged in CSIR Projects including NMITLI projects, OLP/MLP, Contract R&D and non-CSIR funded Projects.
- Based on the recommendations of the committee, Director General, CSIR has approved the following:
- DST OM No. SR/S9/Z-05/2019 dated August 21, 2019 (enclosed at Appendix 1) is adopted in toto for recruitment and remuneration of the project staff with effect from the date of issue of this OM. Thus, henceforth aforesaid DST OM will be followed in toto for recruitment and remuneration of the project staff in CSIR.
- In case of international projects, emoluments prescribed by the funding agency will be followed subject to minimum amount as per the aforesaid DST OM. Further, in case of industry sponsored projects, if industry is willing to offer more emoluments than prescribed in aforesaid DST OM, the same can be accepted by the CSIR Laboratories/Institutes.
- Thus, in line with the aforesaid DST OM, remuneration of existing CSIR project staff has been revised as given below:
Designation Existing stipend (in Rs.) Revised Stipend(in Rs.)
(i) Having M.Tech./ M.Pharm. or equivalent with 2 years of experience
(i) (ii) Having MD/Ph.D
- The positions of Research Associate - I (i) and Project Scientist Range 0, Range 3 & Range 4 stands abolished. However, the status quo will be maintained for these four categories of project staff upto completion of initial tenure as offered in the appointment letter. Thereafter, no renewal or extension of tenure on previous terms will be allowed and these positions will stand abolished.
- In case, any Laboratory/Institute has initiated the recruitment process in any of the category of project staff out of Research Associate - I (i) and Project Scientist Range 0, Range 3 & Range 4 but not yet finalized, the same should be discontinued.
- Whenever possible accommodation will be provided to Project Staff. If accommodation is not possible then they will be paid HRA as per the Govt. of India norms as adopted by CSIR.
- These guidelines are to be followed by all Laboratories/ Institutes. COA will be responsible to ensure compliance of these instructions. No request should be forwarded to CSIR Hqrs for any relaxation.
- These guidelines shall come into effect from date of issue of this OM and will supersede other OMs issued on the subject.
- This issues with the concurrence of CSIR-IFD vide note no.30-1(41)/2019-IFD dated January 13, 2020.
- Directors of all CSIR Laboratories/ Institutes
- COA/AO of all CSIR Laboratories/ Institutes
- F&AO of all CSIR Laboratories/ Institutes
- Heads/In-charge of all Divisions/Directorates/Units of CSIR Hqrs/ Complex/ RAB/ HRDG / HRDC/URDIP/TKDL/IPU
- Head of CSIR Units
- PS to DG, CSIR
- JS (Admn.), CSIR
- FA, CSIR
- CVO, CSIR
- LA, CSIR
- IT Division for uploading the OM on CSIR website
- Office Copy